Saturday, January 02, 2010

Snow surprise, cancelled trips, and camera joy

For weeks, we had planned for my parents, my brother Eric, and our family to meet up for Christmas in Indiana. (My dad's parents and entire extended family are all there.) No one but my grandparents knew we were coming, and the plan was to surprise the rest of them. Although I was dreading 14 hours in the car with two small children, I was so excited to see everyone, show off the girls, and be part of the drama. The morning we were supposed to leave, it became obvious that Grace was sick and Lily was showing signs of it. Traveling with that wasn't going to work, and we called off the trip for us. You always know that kids can get sick, but I was really disappointed. My sweet and completely giving husband immediately practically demanded that I go ahead anyway, helped me pick out place tickets, and by that evening, I was sitting in my grandparents living room!

As much as I appreciated Lee's willing spirit, it was still really hard for me to be gone away from him and my babies for several days, so I DEMANDED that he take tons of pictures of anything that I missed. And did I miss stuff! Christmas Eve our house got tons of snow, and I missed Lily's first snow day, Grace's first snowman, and the most inches of snow I remember getting in Graham since I was in Jr. High! All I can say is thank God for cameras!


Pictures Lee took of the snow at our house. It was deep enough, it drifted. Yes, that's right, I said drifted. Like snowbanks, albeit small ones, and everything. Crazy, especially when you consider the entire time I was up North, they got about three flakes.








Poor Lily was apparantly NOT IMPRESSED at all with all this white stuff lying around. Lee said she just kept looking around with tears in her eyes in dismay, and saying "Cold! Cold!" over and over. Poor baby!


Grace on the other hand was ecstatic. Lee said she ran to the window and looked at the winter wonderland and exclaimed "Look! God sent us some snow!" She had been telling me ever since it got cold that she just knew there was going to be a way she could make a snowman this year. Trying to be kind, because after all it happens only sporadically in Texas, I would try to let her down gently.

Maybe she'll grow up to be a meterologist!


An angel again, only this time in the snow!




My wonderful hubbie got perhaps a little more than he baragained for when this storm rolled through, because the roads were extremely slick and he was stuck at home in nasty weather, cooped up with the girls inside for 2 1/2 days! Saturday the roads were finally clear enough that they could go out to his parents house to play, and they had a blast, as you can see. Grace was quickly schooled in the art of snowman making and snowball throwing, and did a great job with both!





By then, Lily's attitude with the snow was slightly better, but as evidenced by her expression, she still wasn't crazy about it.



Snowman number two!

No comments: