Friday, December 11, 2009

Last night was the bank's kid-centered Christmas party. They had carnival-like games set up for the kids to play and the crowning culmination at the end was a visit from Santa. Grandpa and Grandma were there too, so that added to the festivities! (we missed you Mammaw and Pop!)




At the time when Santa actually arrived, I was in the restroom. I heard someone say that Santa was there, and then I heard literally screaming and crying when he walked in. Somehow, I was pretty sure it was Grace, as she does not always react well to surprises, especially when the surprise is someone dressed up and unfamiliar. Sure enough, it was her! She somewhat warmed up to him later, espcially when she found out he had a gift for her. When it was her turn to sit on his lap, she said "I'm just going to stand next to you over here, okay?" ;)




Lily, while she didn't cry, was caught somewhere between wariness and fascination with Santa. Her response to this was to stand close to him and just stare while the other kids took their turns.

She did actually sit in his lap, but never smiled. She just stared at him and frowned and then quickly got down.




And a final parting shot/thought. We have a kid-friendly nativity that we have been leaving out. One night a few ago, I had gathered all the pieces back up and placed them all back neatly and "correctly". We put the kids to bed and I thought nothing else about it. The next morning I walked out and looked at it, and Grace had rearranged the figures. I started to "fix" it and then looked at what she had done. All the characters were crowded up to the manger, and facing baby Jesus. Now if that doesn't say it all about what our priorities should be, I don't know what does . . .





I left it alone.



No comments: